Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Unit 1, Dinosaurs

After we got our Oriental Trading Company order, the girls decided to abandon Harry Potter, and learn about Dinosaurs. I sorta knew that was going to happen! 

Okay, I'll be updating this post as we go, not creating new posts, so once we're done all the info will be in one easy post. 

Today is our pre-start. We're jumping in tomorrow, but we're dipping our toe in today. So I booted up Netflix, and got them watching Walking With Dinosaurs from BBC. They are watching with their sketch pads, in case they feel like drawing what they see. Poor Pia is upset that she "can't" draw dinos. I can't wait until she discovers she can :)

Our letter for this unit is M, and our vocabulary list:
herbivore
carnivore
omnivore
scale
reptile
bones
extinct
plates
Jurassic
Triassic 
Cretaceous

Note, I changed up the vocabulary list.

I'm blogging as we go right now!

Ok, to start, we labelled all the dinos we got from our OTC order. Then we picked one that we liked the most, which is the Triceratops. While I was googling for info on these, Nana was writing out her vocabulary words, and Pia was doing Mm tracing/writing sheets, and early writing exercises. I got those here - really adorable, free print sheets. We also used Mm sheets from here.

While googling, I found another awesome site for all things Dino - here. They have information sheets, coloring pages, math sheets, etc. I printed out a few different ones, in preparation for our posters - we will be creating posters for each dino for information retention. 

After we finished up our letters/vocabulary, we moved onto math for Nana, and more Mm work for Pia. Pia did an M letter search, from the first school site, and some M coloring. Nana did some simple dino addition (numbers, no pics) from the learning page site. After we successfully completed those, I printed out coloring pages of a Triceratops for our posters. We colored and cut those out and set them aside. Next, we headed outside with our dino fact sheet - we talked about how much space a Triceratops would take up, and counted off their length together. They especially loved this part! 

Once back inside, I had Nana work in her phonics workbook, doing a few word searches/writing practices. Pia worked on some more early writing exercises. Now we're breaking for lunch!

1 comment:

  1. woohoo! We're loving on dinosaurs right now too. P has watched different Walking with Dinosaurs shows every day for 'quiet time' for the past month or so. At least he's learning while I am self indulgent!

    Pia may not think she can draw dinosaurs, but I bet she could make some awesome dinos out of playdoh! ;)

    ReplyDelete