Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Check in!

I know we've been absent lately, but it's summer, and we're enjoying it!!

But, school time is looming, so I've been doing a lot of prep work for us, and I'm set to begin next week.

After a lot of thought/research, this is our plan:

I sat down with my girls, and we chose 26 topics that interest them. I then tied a letter into each "unit" - because we're also doing Pre-K for my 4 year old. And letter learning can't hurt the 1st grader. I honestly don't know how long each unit will last - it depends on how it goes and if we veer off in other directions. I imagine if they are super interested in something within a unit, I can write a new unit on that topic. I'm going into this with the promise to myself to be flexible. And which unit we work on is completely up to the girls.

I like workbooks. I know a lot of hsers don't, but I do. I'm using them in my own way, as a follow up to what I teach, but I'm still going to use them.

Here are the units/letters we're doing. Some of the letters tie in nicely, some only make sense to me. As I complete each unit, I'll post the details with links/books/printables/tips/crafts. I will also link them up on the sidebar for easy navigation.

For now, here's our list:

Apple – A
Dinosaurs – M
Food Groups – N
Public Service Workers – R
Zoo Animals – D
Farming – C
Harry Potter - P
Royalty – Q
Butterflies - U
Space – S
Oceans - I
Flowers/Plants – K
Water - H
Machines - Z
Bodies - B
Earth - L
Cooking - F
Pirates - J
USA - O
Bugs - G
Birds - X
Christmas - W
Valentines - V
Thanksgiving - Y
Weather – E
Travel – T

Within each unit we will touch on several things, relevant to the girls ages. Colors, shapes, letters and early phonics for Pia (age 4), reading, spelling, phonics, geography, math, science for Nana (age 6). Each unit will have a vocabulary sheet with 9 words. These are *not* the sight words that we will be using throughout the year, but additional, more challenging words to learn and recognize.

So, that's our plan. I'm sure it will change 100 times over the school year, and I'm sure we'll hit some bumps in the road. It's ok though, I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. great list! Think I'll borrow a few things from it. We're working on dinosaurs ATM :)

    ReplyDelete